Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Happy Wedding Day!!!!

Good Morning World....today would have been my wedding day 1,096 Days ago on July 11th, 2009....wow.

I suggest you google yourself....just give it a shot. It's a bit scary how much of your information is out there and what photos of you can surface. I now and then run across my Wedding Website that I created when I was 19....you can tell a 19 year old made it, oy. I know a couple of people have done these little gems and then never went through with the marriage for some reason or another. They now will always run across their website for that special day because there is no way to take it down!! I've tried, I know other people have tried, it's a pain in the butt.

I have a few friends that are married now and some that are on their way to getting married. I could have been one of them but my life decided that wasn't going to happen. I think there is a key point to knowing if you are actually going to get married once he pops the questions.....you don't plan the wedding. I decided when I got engaged I was going to wait till I was 21 to get married because I wanted some time and to be able to drink. I just never planned anything, I didn't want to....I think I was more excited and in love with the thought of being engaged and being married than I was with actually wanting to be in that stage of my life. I think that is why some people get divorced, because they are in love with the thought of the ring, the big day, and the happily ever after that they don't take the time to think....do I and can I see myself being with this person forever. Will he/she be able to be my equal partner, will he/she always support me no matter what, will he/she be faithful in committing to this relationship, will he/she compromise on the big things because they know we both have to live with the choices....those are just some of the questions that need to be asked before you say 'I DO' because divorce can leave you with a big 'PAST DUE' bill.

I know some people that have almost been engaged or that were engaged and they had to ask those big questions and ended the relationships. Some of them now are happily married to the guy that they should be married to and others are being their single girl self like me. If you are getting married I think some key points to having a relaxed and semi not crazy engagement months/years are these:
  1. When picking your wedding party only select people YOU want in the wedding.
    • Don't let your family tell you who is going to be in the wedding
    • Don't pick someone just to be a filler so you have an even number
  2. Try to give your wedding party a price range
    • You want to make sure that the people in your wedding can afford to do things
    • You want to make your friends/family not feel like they HAVE to be in your wedding and then they have to bow out midway because they just can't afford it
  3. If you can, get a wedding planner
  4. Find a photographer that is not uptight, is easy going, and fun to be around
    • Another lovely lady that I've had the pleasure of meeting that is in the Tampa Area: AKA Photographs
  5. Take time once a month to have just a me and future hubby date, weekend get away or just a night in a hotel room
    • You need time to just collect yourselves and remember who you are and what you mean to each other. Wedding planning can get crazy with everyone putting their thoughts in that you forget why you are with this person and what you love about them because all you can think is how much you wish their family lived in Africa and didn't have a phone.
  6. Last but not least: This is Your Wedding!!!!!
    • Don't be afraid to put your foot down and say 'NO!' Even if you aren't the one paying for everything, you are the one putting the time and effort in to make sure everything is perfect. If you had a wedding planner that you paid to do everything you would tell them No, so don't be afraid to tell other people that
    • If you need help, don't be afraid to ask. You have friends and family all over who will be willing to help if you need something. You can't be expected to always do everything and be in 30 places at once.
I know marriage/wedding advice is silly coming from a blog about being single, but us single girls might decide to get married one day :-)

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I agree with everything about this. You're a good advice giver :) and thanks!

Brieann Daw said...

No problem my dear :) and thank you!!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS