Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Literary Junkies Link Up!!!



Hey beautiful ladies!
It's time for one of my favorite link ups since I'm a giant bookworm who always has her Nook on her so let's get started!

1. What are you reading right now? Tell us about it.

Right now I'm reading Beautiful Darkness which is starting out kind of slow for me because it just screams of being too much of the beginning of the first one with the slow moving. I'm starting to get mad at Lena with her Debbie Downer thing but I'm sure it will work out once we get farther in. I'm hoping since I really enjoyed reading the first one. 

 2. Give us the recipe for a great book.
Hmmmm.....let me see here. I need strong characters but not the kind where you want to kill them because you think they are being stupid. Throw in some great love, a bit of action, some twists and turns that will blow my mind, and have an ending where I can sit there and feel good about how things turned out. Yeah, I basically just described a great night in bed....it fits for a great book also though ;)

 3. Tell us things you've learned from a book recently. Did you learn anything about history? Did you take away a deep & profound realization about the world around you? Or maybe even a beauty tip?
Wow ladies, good questions this week. The Beautiful series has left me with wanting to be a witch again (I always wanted to be one when I was a kid). Yeah, I know, lame but that is what happens sometimes when reading YA haha. 

4. What was your favorite book as a child?
Well,  when I was little I really loved Three Billy Goats Gruff and wanted to impress my parents with how I learned to read. 

I ended up memorizing it from when they read it for me and attempted to pretend how to read it to them. They figured it out.  I mean I was like 4 or 5 or something, don't judge. 
I also loved Harry Potter to where I made my mother get me the book RIGHT when it came out and I wouldn't leave me room for a couple days because I was just so into the book I couldn't remember to eat or drink, I for sure as hell didn't sleep. This started a bad habit as I still do that to this day. It causes issues as I have to work for a living and my body needs sleep or else I'm useless. 


Since this is book related I went and saw Beautiful Creatures in theaters yesterday. This has some spoilers so if you haven't read the book and want to you might not want to read this, sorry.  OK, I'm never a fan of books into movies but I end up going to see them because I just want to see if the movie hit on anything I pictured while reading. This movie.....NO! OK, sure, you got some Southern sounding people and you put it in a southern setting. Good job movie location people. What got me was.....they just changed things SO MUCH! They cut out my favorite character (who is playing  a big part in the second book so far). Amma they ruined, just made her a younger seer instead of the older, loving, motherly, gifted woman with the crazy charms. They introduced the locket in the VERY beginning and then down played it's importance. They NEVER introduced us to Ethan's father. Ethan's mother was special, not just some woman who died in a car accident you stupid mean people! She was basically involved in caster world, might be haunting Ethan, and was brilliant, GAH! They took away the song, THE DAMN FREAKING SONG! They made the Caster library the big part of the movie which she went into ONE FREAKING TIME! OMG! They didn't include how Lena's kisses can kill Ethan which is why they can't get too involved. HOW DARE YOU MAKE ETHAN FORGET STUPID SCRIPT WRITERS! Also, you ruined the ending. Yeah, great you added a freaking twister that sucked up towns people because THAT sounds like a great idea but you ruined it, just ruined it. Sure, if I hadn't read the book I'd like the movie but I didn't, not at all. 
Asshats. 
OK, I'm done with my rant. BTW that is how you can tell a real reader from someone who reads from time to time, we go crazy when they ruin our book in a movie. 

OK, I'm off to go register my car before I forget and I hope you are all ready to find out who is the big winner because I'll reveal that tomorrow!!!!!!

5 comments:

Taylor @ Pink Heels Pink Truck said...

I've read a few books over the last few months that made me want to have some magic capabilities. Like the real deal stuff, not like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. ;) lol
Thanks for partying with us!!

Lesley said...

Thanks for linking up!

That's What She Read said...

you're so funny!! now that you mention it, i want to be a witch too!

jen @ grown in southern ground said...

I didn't read everything you wrote about the BC movie because I am going to see it soon and don't want any spoilers :) But I did read the book but HATED the ending. Which is why I refuse to read any more in the series... I'm stubborn :)

http://ilikebigbooksblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/literary-junkies-4/

Rachel @ front row seat said...

I just read Beautiful Creatures recently and have been hesitant to start the second in the series. You're making me ever more hesitant now! lol! I am seriously so upset what all your comments about the movie! I was looking forward to watching the movie that was an accurate representation of the book! I hate it when the movie people mess up these good books!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS